From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 03:11:33
1 On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 13:05:43 -0400
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > It is some what a moot problem, but I think it would be good to adopt such or
5 > similar requirement, maybe in the PMS. Many already follow the -bin suffix now.
6 > I just do not believe it is a requirement anywhere. Which if that is the case,
7 > I am suggesting it should be. If a package is src_install only, no
8 > src_compile, it should be required to have a -bin suffix, or -gbin if self made.
9
10 Yeah, I get the intent, but I don't see it being likely we'd ever have
11 a real usecase for having both a -bin and a -gbin in tree together.
12
13 If anything, I'd imagine if that case arose, it would manifest itself more as:
14
15 icedtea-bin + USE=official
16
17 Or similar, given the "deploy binary to system" steps are likely to be
18 the same regardless of who built it.
19
20 At best, I'd imagine users who care whether they get "official" binaries
21 or "gentoo" binaries would probably prefer to select which as a sort of global policy,
22 but that concept is just a doorway to additional complexity.
23
24 So a strong argument would have to be made for being able to "select"
25 between "Offical" and "Unofficial" binaries in an automated fashion
26 before we go down that road to hell.
27
28 ( I wrote an example case of how this could be done, and it quickly
29 went pear shaped and I deleted it[1] )
30
31 1: https://gist.github.com/kentfredric/c63e42937c90031834c525dcb6de0da8