From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:29:53
1 On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Steven J Long
2 <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > The shifting nature of the arguments and the solutions makes me more
4 > uncomfortable that this hasn't been thought through even with the amount of
5 > feedback, and more importantly proper consideration to that feedback,
6 > required for a GLEP, let alone a change to base Linux filesystem
7 > specifications.
10 Keep in mind that the main proponents of this do not intend to issue
11 any GLEPs (they don't use Gentoo), and they may or may not get around
12 to changing FHS/etc. They just intend to "do it" - and to some extent
13 they're already doing it. Unless projects like udev get forked, we're
14 going there whether we want to or not - apparently a
15 soon-to-be-introduced version of udev already breaks when /usr isn't
16 mounted at boot.
17
18 If people don't like this, they need to start writing code, otherwise
19 they're going to get it by default...
20
21 Rich