From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] When the version scheme changes
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:00:22
1 On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:52:37 +0200
2 "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
8 > > On Saturday 28 June 2008 17:03:13 Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
9 > >> PV=${PV/0./}
10 > >>
11 > >> to that new ebuild. This is the cleanest way to do it and doesn't
12 > >> require any variable name changes or any other changes to the
13 > >> ebuild regardless of what it does. Unfortunately it is also
14 > >> illegal per current PMS as PV is a read-only variable. Right now I
15 > >> feel that the gain of having PV read-only (catch a few bugs?) is
16 > >> much lower than the pain (extensive ebuild-dependend changes when
17 > >> the version scheme changes). Please comment.
18 > >
19 > > I don't really see how making PV not read-only is any easier than
20 > > using MY_PV. Did you expect changing PV to magically change P, PVR
21 > > and PF too?
22 >
23 > If we can agree to have those values writable we could define a
24 > function that will handle resetting all those too.
25
26 Not going to happen. These variables are used internally by portage in
27 various ways, and making their content inconsistent with the version in
28 the filename is likely to cause subtle bugs and/or weird behavior.
29 Besides, you've yet to explain the benefit of it, short of avoiding a
30 simple replace operation in an ebuild, and the given use case isn't all
31 that common anyway.
32
33 Marius
34 --