From: Joerg Hoh <joerg@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: extension of etc-update
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:23:20
1 On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:56:16AM +0100, Mike Williams wrote:
2 >
3 > Basic premise, as I remember, is that when portage merges a new version it
4 > purposely doesn't overwrite files CONFIG_PROTECT'd, but really it should look
5 > for the file in /var/db/pkg, check the md5sums, and if the same overwrite it.
6
7 the problem is the large number of files CONFIG_PROTECT'd ...
8
9 > > Another extension would be versioning of configuration files via cvs/rcs,
10 > > subversion or arch. But I had to do some more work on that ...
11 >
12 > dispatch-conf does basic backing up before overwriting.
13
14 That seems to be the right thing (according to the manpage), but I haven't
15 heard of it yet. The documentation mentions only etc-update. Does
16 dispatch-conf also handles the update of unchanged configs?
17
18 Joerg
21 Fachbegriffe der Informatik (Nr 366): Powerpoint
22 - Transportmittel für mindestens 50% der E-Mails eines Unternehmens. Die
23 Inhalte sind überwiegend mit humoristischem Anspruch. Ein kleiner Teil ist
24 ernst gemeint und erinnert an die letzten Zusammentreffen innerhalb der
25 Firma/des Konzerns, da wo man so schön Kaffee trinken und über Gott und die
26 Welt erzählen kann.
27 Holger Marzen