From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: sys-libs/db old SLOT removal
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 14:30:42
1 Hi Thomas,
2
3 On Fri, 28 May 2021 15:13:41 +0200 Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
4
5 >On 2021-05-27 00:41, David Seifert wrote:
6 >> Furthermore, the Gentoo Base System Team has decided to consider
7 >> sys-libs/db a deprecated database backend.
8 >
9 >Uh? When did that happen?
10
11 We've discussed this at length in #gentoo-base and nobody complained.
12
13 > While there is no development happening
14 >anymore in old versions, 5.3 is feature complete, stable and a good
15 >choice for small setups like a postfix setup with the need for a few
16 >lookup tables. It's offering features you don't find anywhere else.
17 >
18 >As long as 5.3 keeps building... there shouldn't be any need to kill
19 >it. It's not even blocking anything because it has no deps.
20
21 Well, it's abandoned by upstream so potential bugs will never get fixed
22 officially. Perhaps if some distros decide to continue maintenance of
23 the source code we can consider keeping the package but I don't see that
24 happen...
25
26 >> Other distros such as Fedora have started a gradual phase-out of
27 >> Berkeley DB too, given Oracle's strong-armed approach to community
28 >> input and their arguably hostile switch to the AGPLv3
29 >> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Libdb_deprecated).
30 >> Furthermore, Oracle is known to remove critical features from BDB in
31 >> patch releases, such as the removal of the client-server
32 >> architecture and the SQL API between 18.1.32 and 18.1.40.
33 >
34 >This paragraph doesn't belong into a news item.
35
36 I think this should belong into the news item in order to explain our
37 rationale behind this decision.
40 Kind regards
41 --
42 Lars Wendler
43 Gentoo package maintainer
44 GPG: 21CC CF02 4586 0A07 ED93 9F68 498F E765 960E 9B39