From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ranged licenses
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:51:43
1 On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:40:27 -0800
2 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3 > I'm for ranged licenses, but I think attention needs to be paid to the
4 > syntax. The postfix [] form does nicely separate the version
5 > information from the actual license name (moreso than the traditional
6 > CPV atom), but the LGPL[>=2&<3] example looks to be overloading it,
7 > when we already have AND/OR at the higher level.
8 > LICENSE="|| ( Eclipse ( LGPL[>=2] LGPL[<3] ) )"
9 > Which is, Eclipse OR (LGPL v2 up to, but not including LGPLv3).
10
11 The ( ) form means something else for package dependencies, and so can't
12 be used for ranged dependencies. In particular:
13
14 ( >=foo/bar-3 <foo-bar/4 )
15
16 will (correctly) be matched if both foo/bar-5 and foo/bar-1 are
17 installed, which can happen due to slots.
20 Ciaran McCreesh