From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 15:15:52
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Oct 27, 2016, at 09:11 CDT, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'd think that the title of a legal document falls more under
6 >> trademark law than copyright law. That is why the FSF publishes the
7 >> "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE" and not just the "GENERAL PUBLIC
8 >> LICENSE." The former has far more trademark protection than the
9 >> latter.
10 >
11 > What?
12 >
13 > No, this is *not* how it works.
14 >
15 > A license text is an original piece of work that falls under copyright
16 > protection.
17
18 We're not talking about the text of the license in the paragraph
19 above. We're talking about the title of the license.
20
21 > In this case the copyright holder is the
22 >
23 > »The Linux Foundation and its contributors«.
24
25 Well, there is no statement of copyright in this file:
26 https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
27
28 But, I don't dispute that the Linux Foundation and its contributors
29 hold the copyright.
32 > The terms of distribution are
33 >
34 > »Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this
35 > license document, but changing it is not allowed.«
38 That text does not appear anywhere in the file I linked.
39
40 The GPL does, however.
43 > You cannot simply copy a substantial amount of text into your work (no
44 > matter what it is) if you do not have the right to do so.
47 I agree. I certainly wouldn't do it if the Linux Foundation hadn't
48 published it under the GPL.
49
50 >> The Linux Foundation published a version of their DCO under the GPL,
51 >> which we would of course abide by.
52 >
53 > I highly doubt that, see my previous e-mail.
56 I just linked it, and it was linked in the draft policy.
57
58 The fact that they published it elsewhere under a different license
59 just means that it is effectively dual-licensed. It doesn't diminish
60 any rights conferred under the GPL.
63 Rich