From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:48:10
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 02:05:54PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > I know this has come up before, but I don't really recall what the
5 > specific objections were.
6 >
7 > IMO the portage directory doesn't belong under /usr at all.
8 > I was chatting with another developer who uses
9 > /var/cache/portage/{tree,distfiles}, and I'm thinking about switching my
10 > default setup to do this.
11 >
12 > I realize that historically the portage tree has been installed under
13 > /usr, but Can we consider changing this default for new installations
14 > and providing instructions for users for how to get the portage tree out
15 > of /usr?
16 > William
17
18 If/when this happens, we should also consider improving the internal
19 structure of the portage folder. At the moment we just throw everything
20 in it, which is not very user friendly. I recommend creating a subfolder
21 for the actual tree, keeping distfiles and packages out.
22
23 For example, my /usr/portage/ on this system looks like this:
24
25 portage/
26 tree/
27 profiles/ -> tree/profiles/
28 distfiles/
29 packages/
30 layman/
31
32 it is a big improvement over the current
33 distfiles-and-packages-mixed-with-tree-while-layman-wanders state :)
34 --
35 Alex Alexander | wired
36 + Gentoo Linux Developer
37 ++ www.linuxized.com