From: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] python-2.3.2 testing required
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:57:52
1 On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 08:07, Nick Jones wrote:
2 > this situation. I'll get around to testing this soon. I'd prefer
3 > that portage be ~arch before you make python ~arch, as it'll cause
4 > headaches otherwise.
5
6 Yes, that is something I forgot to mention. I won't be putting
7 python-2.3.2 into ~ until the new portage is unmasked.
8
9 > > * Maybe we should think about using a non version specific directory for
10 > > Python modules to ease upgrade.
11 >
12 > I agree.
13
14 Probably to expand on that a bit. Basically, only pure python modules
15 can go in /usr/lib/site-python (this is supported in python) and
16 c-modules (bindings) can go into
17 /usr/lib/python${version}/site-packages.
18
19 There are a number of issues to address before this works, namely, how
20 .pth files will be installed and how we get distutils to distinguish the
21 two. I haven't looked into this in depth, but probably distutils has
22 something similar to prefix and exec_prefix like autoconf.
23
24 Cheers,
25 --
26 Alastair 'liquidx' Tse