From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Segregating KDE?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:39:37
1 On Saturday 18 September 2004 23:38, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > I was talking about the recently proposed, and still experimental afaik,
3 > 'configure cache' patch to portage, posted to this list on September 10th
4 > by Stuart Hebert:
5 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/confcache/
6 >
7 > It caches the tests run by configure scripts. I haven't tried it yet and
8 > haven't seen any reports on how well it works for kde specifically. We
9 > -need- a solution to the configure script run times issue, as described in
10 > #11123. If that's not resolved, no amount of maintainer manpower can help,
11 > because the move to separate ebuilds would mean a large increase in
12 > emerging time for people who do want all of kde. If this configure cache
13 > works well and is accepted into portage, it'd be the best possible solution
14 > to the problem.
15
16 ...Which is why we've been dismissive of this issue until just now: no such
17 config cache, or an laternative solution to the problem, was available.
20 Dan Armak
21 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
22 Matan, Israel
23 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
24 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951