From: Tim Yamin <plasmaroo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 'Images' without gcc/portage?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:43:21
1 On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 06:31:31PM -0500, Allen Rohner wrote:
2 > I have been a Gentoo user for several years, but this is my first step into
3 > gentoo development. I'm looking at the feasability of using gentoo for a
4 > product at work. Is it possible to use a Gentoo host machine to create a
5 > linux 'image' (ramdisk/ext2fs/iso) that does not contain portage or gcc? I
6 > have looked at several embedded gentoo web pages, and am familiar with the
7 > "ROOT=/opt/image emerge busybox dropbear" type command line, but all of the
8 > examples I've seen create a portage tree on the image. Additionally, getting
9 > past bootstrap.sh is painful.
10
11 Yes, use catalyst to generate a stage4/LiveCD and then add gcc to your list
12 of packages to unmerge once the stage4/LiveCD is ready.
13
14 > Is this possible? Is it a good idea?
15
16 Yes and maybe if you're limited on space. If you're doing this for a server
17 which you want to keep flexible and manageable I'd say it's a bad idea. Removing
18 Portage itself probably isn't a good idea, having systems without a Portage
19 tree works fine (you can just emerge sync it back in when you need it).
20 --
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list