From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Documentation Considerations
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 11:19:52
1 drobbins@g.o wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 06:22:37PM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 >
5 > > I have a few thoughts how we can handle the documentation for gentoo in a way
6 > > that we can use it for our webpage and independently for a printable book.
7 >
8 > > Now my plan. We separate the articles from the build packages. This means
9 > > we create gentoo-install, gentoo-portage, gentoo-ebuild, gentoo-man which
10 > > contain either gentoo-xsl or docbook style docs and those docs only get
11 > > installed to /usr/share/doc/gentoo/[guide|docbook]. Once daniel has finished
12 > > his gentoo->html xsl stylesheet, I create a gentoo->docbook xsl-sheet.
13 >
14 > Yes, I'd like to use "guide" as our official format and use XSLT to convert
15 > from there. I can focus on the guide -> HTML XSLT, and if you can focus on
16 > the guide -> docbook XSLT, then that would be great. Right now, web page HTML
17 > documentation is our number one priority, but it would also be nice to use
18 > "guide" XML as the master file for our man pages.
19
20 Can you please make sure that we have the latest xslt-stylesheet on cvs,
21 I want to write a DTD
22 for it: :-/
25 > > gentoo-web now can contain an global xml file which is generated dynamic from
26 > > the content of /usr/share/doc/gentoo/guide. It generates the website-content
27 > > from this global file.
28 >
29 > And I'm guessing that we should design it this way so that I need to remerge
30 > the actual documentation before it goes "live" on the website? Because, if
31 > it pulled the docs directly from /usr/portage instead, then it could be using
32 > documentation that's currently in development and not yet production-ready?
33 >
34 > > gentoo-doc must convert the guide-style files to docbook. After that it
35 > > generates a global docbook book file and creates prinatble output.
36 >
37 > OK, so we have the following XML packages, each one containing a master
38 > document in "guide" XML format:
39 >
40 > gentoo-install
41 > gentoo-portage
42 > gentoo-ebuild
43 > gentoo-man
46 In my eyes a chapter of our book. Take a look how I tried to structure
47 it in gentoo-doc.
48
49 > Then, we have two "target" packages that generate content from these packages:
50 >
51 > gentoo-web
52 > gentoo-doc
53
54 These two packages should contain scripts to autogenerate the global xml
55 files.
56 Then the documentation packages can call these scripts on postinstall
57 and prerm.
60 This way your global xml file is allways actual. Additionaly you can add
61 automated html generation of changed parts.
62
63 This way you must remerge the documentation package to update the
64 webpage.
65
66 We can even extend ebuild to generate a package-guilde-xml file is
67 /usr/share/doc/gentoo/packages/[category]/[packagename].xml.
68
69 This files can contain the DESCRIPTION SRC_URI HOME_PAGE tags and maybe
70 some additional cvs info.
71 Additionaly it can include links to /usr/share/doc/[package] stuff.
72
73 This info could be nice to generate online or local basic packge
74 descriptions in html or even printable.
78 > > This way we have our docs allways up to date on the web and as a book.
79 >
80 > Sounds good... I'll need to think about how this will work from the webmaster's
81 > (my) perspective.
82 >
83 > --
84 > Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>