From: Jauhien Piatlicki <jauhien@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage dependency solving algorithm
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 19:57:51
1 On 11/07/2014 08:21 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > The main issue, though, is that getting a "good" resolution out of
4 > crappy data is extremely difficult. There's the Babbage quote:
5 >
6 > | On two occasions I have been asked, — "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
7 > | into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" In
8 > | one case a member of the Upper, and in the other a member of the
9 > | Lower, House put this question. I am not able rightly to apprehend
10 > | the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
11 >
12 > Yet this is *exactly* what a dependency resolver has to do for Gentoo,
13 > and it's why dependency resolvers are so complicated.
14 >
15 > (For comparison, Paludis on Exherbo will run an order of magnitude
16 > faster for the same set of installed packages, simply because on
17 > Exherbo the input is correct.)
20 What;s wrong with input? PMS itself or how do maintainers write ebuilds?
21 Could you explain?