From: Cheng Renquan <crquan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A tool helps to diff and override config files
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 08:41:23
1 On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Song Ma <songmash@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > With Gentoo if the user runs "emerge --update --newuse --deep world", the
5 > config file under "/etc" may be updated and get the new config file named as
6 > "._cfg0000_xxxx", for example, "._cfg0000_ntp.conf". Normally I will
7 > compare this newly updated config file with my existing one, then decide if
8 > I am going to override the existing one with new one or discard the new one
9 > since I must keep my existing setting. It is not very efficient to do these
10 > actions with command lines such as "diff", "cp" or "mv" one by one. I wrote
11 > a tool with text menu to help Gentoo user compare and copy new the new
12 > config file conveniently. Does anyone have interest about it? What should I
13 > do if I want to make it open source and maintain it for Gentoo users?
14
15 Why not use dispatch-conf ?
18 > A screen shot for the tool use:
25 Cheng Renquan, Shenzhen, China
26 Bob Dole - "The internet is a great way to get on the net."