From: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
To: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:41:38
1 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> said:
2 > Ryan Phillips wrote:
3 > > This is a follow up to Mark's (halcy0n's) thread regarding QA Policies and
4 > > seemant's letter on herds, teams, and projects.
5 > >
6 > > I believe the way Gentoo is doing things is broken. There I have said it. The
7 > > entire project has reached a level of being too political and trying to solve
8 > > certain problems in the wrong way.
9 > >
10 > > Some of these problems are intermixed. Please consider them starting points
11 > > for discussion.
12 > >
13 > > __Problem: Developer Growth__
14 > >
15 > > I find that developer growth as being a problem. Adding a developer to gentoo
16 > > should be as easy as 1. has the user contributed numerous (~5+) patches that
17 > > helps the project move forward. If yes, then commit access should be given.
18 > > Adding a developer is usually quite a chore. There are numerous reasons why
19 > > this is a problem: having a live tree, taking a test, and not defining within
20 > > policy when a person could possibly get commit access.
21 > >
22 > > All these reasons leave the project stagnant and lacking developers.
23 > >
24 > > Why do people have to take a test? Is it to make sure they won't break the
25 > > tree? If it is, then the solution of a test is wrong. We do want to make sure
26 > > our developers understand gentoo, but I argue that the bugtracker is all we
27 > > need. As long as a person is adding value to gentoo and they have "proven"
28 > > themselves, then they *should* have commit access.
29 > >
30 > > Perhaps its because of a live tree...
33 > I am relatively new, I lurked for quite some time on IRC ( a yearish )
34 > before finally becoming a dev, and the quiz was not particularly
35 > difficult, and the questions I didn't know, I asked my Mentor about. I
36 > think Mentors in general don't do a very good job ( not complaining
37 > about mine, mind, just in general ). I think in some cases, people are
38 > afraid to ask questions.
39 >
40 > We have the madly successful AT project, and a new Herd Tester project
41 > is in the works. I find both of these to be very good ideas and have
42 > aided in developer growth.
43 >
44 > As for your suggestion, with a "Live Tree" you cannot give random users
45 > who contribute "5 patches" commit access. Commiting comes with it an
46 > inherit responsibility. The following is an example only:
49 Ok, so maybe not 5 patches commit access.. How about an active
50 contributor for 6 months. I am throwing out ideas.
51
52 > I can go in right now and commit something that destroys anyone's box
53 > not running SElinux, just bump portage and then watch anyone that uses
54 > the new version destroy their machine. Part of this involves having a
55 > reputation based system. IMHO this is part of our own tree security.
56 > I have worked hard in the community to become a developer, and throwing
57 > that all away to ruin some boxes is silly. Sure once my changes are
58 > found they can be revert and a new portage thrown into the tree, but how
59 > many boxes were ruined first? What if my commit was unintentional?
60
61 So this is a problem with having a live tree.
62
63 > > __Problem: Live Tree__
64 > >
65 > > Having a live tree requires people to be perfect. People are not perfect and
66 > > requiring it is ridiculous. I love having commits in my local tree within the
67 > > hour, but having a stable and unstable branch makes a lot of sense.
68 > >
69 > > CVS doesn't do branching nor tags very well...
70 >
71 > More details on how Branches and Tags solve the Live Tree problem would
72 > be good.
73
74 We could have a trunk/ and stable/ branch. The stable branch gets
75 exported to the rsync mirrors. Trunk/ is where we do the changes,
76 then merge to stable/ the changes we want. Should be pretty simple.
79 > > __Problem: QA Policies__
80 > >
81 > > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/37544
82 > >
83 > > It seems that the QA Policies are a product of a Live Tree, and going partially
84 > > non-live would solve the problems listed.
85 > >
86 > > Everyone here is on the same team. There will be some breakages in the tree
87 > > and those can be dealt with. Like Seemant [1] said, herds are just groups of
88 > > like *packages*. The QA Policy is wrong when it says cross-team assistance; we
89 > > are all on the *same* team. The tree should naturally work. If it doesn't
90 > > then that is a bug for all of us.
91 > >
92 > > Conflict resolution should not be a subproject. It should *not* exist at all.
93 > > Rules need to be in place to avoid conflict. Having some sort of voting
94 > > structure for all the developers (this doesn't mean requiring everyone to vote)
95 > > and not just the council or devrel makes a lot of sense for most things. If I
96 > > don't like how someone is acting within the project there should be a vote and
97 > > then see if that person is kicked out. No trial, no anything besides a vote.
98 > > And if I lose I have to deal with it. Either stay with the project, or find
99 > > something else. This solution just works.
100 >
101 > How many people are going to actively vote? What keeps "Me n' my
102 > Posse'" from just voting out random people we hate; assuming my Posse'
103 > is large enough to do so?
104
105 Thats fine. I replied to Alec's email about this.
106
107 We have to trust eachother to do the right thing.
110 > > Gentoo should be a fun environment. The previous paragraph should be taken as
111 > > a last resort.
112 > >
113 > > __Problem: GLEPs__
114 > >
115 > > I dislike GLEPs. Usually they sit on the website for a long long time not
116 > > doing anything. My vote (+1) is get rid of gleps and do everything by email
117 > > and a vote by the developers. AFAIK, the board votes on the GLEPs. Bad Idea.
118 > > It stifles things from getting done, and there is no ownership of who is going
119 > > to implement the idea.
120 > >
121 > > A new idea proposal should be mailed to a mailinglist (-innovation?) with
122 > > details of timeline to completion, impact, and who is doing the implementation.
123 > > If it sounds like a good one, then there is a vote and things proceed. I like
124 > > progress.
125 >
126 > Uhhh Your E-mail basically states what a GLEP is, aside from the fact
127 > that it's on the web instead of being done via E-mail. The problem we
128 > currently have is:
129 >
130 > A) Many of the GLEPS require someone to do the work.
131 > B) No one has volunteered.
132 >
133 > Can you address these problems?
134
135 The GLEPs first have to get passed by the council. Wrong order of
136 operations. It shouldn't be their job; it's ours.
139 > > __Problem: Voting__
140 > >
141 > > Gentoo has over 200 developers. People are generally against the voting idea,
142 > > but I'm not sure why. I think voting should work like this: if 30 developers
143 > > (or someother specified number) vote yes to an idea then that idea passes. It
144 > > doesn't require everyone to vote, be at home, be on the computer, and not be on
145 > > vacation.
146 > >
147 > > The Apache Foundation already has a decent page regarding this:
148 > > http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
149 > >
150 > > The Apache Foundation has over 1300 developers; they must be doing something
151 > > right.
152 > >
153 > > If someone misses a vote, too bad. You weren't there and progress has been
154 > > made. I equate this to leaving on vacation from work. My input is missed
155 > > while away, but decisions have been made in my absence.
156 >
157 > I could do with a shorter voting period where we vote on more things.
158 > I'd like to see at least a few issues voted on at least to see how many
159 > people actually show up and vote.
160
161 It's not whether people vote. They don't have to. Apache calls this
162 lazy consensus.
163
164 -ryan