From: Mathy Vanvoorden <mathy@××××××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Migrate away from python-2 or not
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 13:49:29
1 > I tried removing python2 on a handful of test systems over the last week
2 > ... it's back everywhere.
5 I attempted the same over the last couple of days as I was thinking "It's
6 going anyway, why not get a head start?". I had to do the following:
7
8 * Remove metagen
9 * Remove rr
10 * Update kodi and related packages to 9999 (I know they are working on
11 getting their 19.0 package out asap because of the 2.7 EOL)
12 * Update clang and related packages to 9.0.0
13 * Remove python dependency in libdbusmenu (it's not needed, PR here:
14 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/13790)
15 * Port gnome-doc-utils to python3 (
16 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/13791)
17 * Remove qt-creator as it depends on clang 8, changing USE to -clang would
18 also work but not really using it anyway atm
19 * Remove gconf dep from discord-bin (
20 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/13793)
21 * Remove gconf dep from spotify (https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/13794
22 )
23 * Update gcr to 3.34.0 (https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/13798)
24 * Unmask a number of other packages that luckily did have updated versions
25 available: samba, talloc, javatoolkit, tdb, tevent, ldb, itstool,
26 dropbox-cli, nodejs
27 * Unmerge typing (now provided by python package)
28 * Reinstall m2crypto, python-typing, scons
29 * Reinstall crda with patch in https://bugs.gentoo.org/693728
30 * Manually fix some packages that were not being selected for emerge by -N:
31 m2crypto, virtual/python-typing, typing, scons
32
33 Unfortunately I was not able to completely purge python2.7 from my system.
34 The base package is still installed as it is required to build qtwebkit,
35 qtwebengine, zziplib, firefox and spidermonkey. At least however I am now
36 running with -python_targets_python2_7 so there's that.
37
38 br,
39 Mathy