From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-portage/genlop: ChangeLog genlop-0.30.8.ebuild
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 00:04:42
1 On Wednesday 26 September 2007, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 17:53 Wed 26 Sep , Doug Goldstein wrote:
3 > > Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
5 > > > also, ebuilds do change over time, so what line # may be correct one
6 > > > day may not be relevant the next ...
7 > >
8 > > True. I will concede this point. I could attempt to argue this is why
9 > > it's important to know the version and revision of the package you are
10 > > emerging. But the counter point is evident, times when the ebuild is
11 > > changed without a bump pose a problem.
12 > >
13 > > Which could bring up a point of would it be useful to see if we can
14 > > print out the actual line that caused the die. Now, I don't know if this
15 > > feasible or something the Portage devs want to do. But again, in the
16 > > effort to streamline this might be something to consider.
17 >
18 > The backtrace code is in ebuild.sh:dump_trace(). If you can find a way
19 > in bash to print the source line, that would be great. I took another
20 > glance through the bash man page and didn't see much from that end. But
21 > since we do have the source file and line number, we could just grab it
22 > with some hack like:
23 >
24 > sed -ne "${lineno}p" ${filename}
25 >
26 > Anyone got something better?
27
28 that's probably about the best ... the trace was invoked because of the call
29 to `die`, not the previous call and i dont think the stack stuff in bash
30 tracks history, just the current execution tree
31
32 that sed will probably work about half the time since it'll only work on one
33 liners ...
34 -mike