From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] question regarding inherit
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:53:34
1 On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 19:41 +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On 06/03/04 Aron Griffis wrote:
3 >
4 > > I'm under the impression that this is bad. Could somebody please
5 > > verify and explain for the sake of people on this list. This
6 > > particular example appears in the libxslt ebuilds, but the kde ebuilds
7 > > make use of a similar syntax:
8 > >
9 > > use python && inherit python
10 >
11 > Bad because it breaks the cache. Depending on the status of the python
12 > flag *on the rsync master* the cache settings are or are not modified by
13 > the python.eclass and could be completely different from the values the
14 > cache should have for the user. That's also the case for other cache
15 > variables like DEPEND, SRC_URI or SLOT, if you make them conditional on
16 > the environment it's likely that the cache values are wrong for some
17 > people.
18
19 The problem is that it shouldn't be a problem to do things like this,
20 it's portage that makes it problematic. It is not obvious why this is
21 problematic, so situations like these are going to pop up time and time
22 again. In my opinion this need to be fixed in portage, not necessarily
23 in the ebuilds/eclasses. And yeah, i'm talking here without any
24 knowledge of portage cache handling, ideal world type of talk.
25
26 - foser