From: Roman Zimmermann <mereandor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo: static/dynamic linking libraries
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:24:19
1 Am Sonntag 29 April 2007 19:50 schrieb Marius Mauch:
2 > On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:43:29 +0200
3 >
4 > Roman Zimmermann <mereandor@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Those links Jakub posted are interesting, but I don't find an
6 > > explanation why this decission was made. Maybe you have a link to
7 > > that discussion too?
8 >
9 > What decision? That USE=static shouldn't be used for (not) installing
10 > static libraries is simply because the flag is used to control how
11 > (parts of) a package should be linked and global flags
12 > shouldn't be used for completely different purposes. That's been the
13 > case since the beginning, so I doubt you'll find any dicussion about it.
16 There is also the part about: "packages that can install static and shared
17 libraries should always be installing them."
18 [http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=116026024223024&w=2]
19 Which means either that this statement was meant for another context (and not
20 in such a general meaning) or it says that there shouldn't/won't be a way to
21 change this behavior.
22 In case 1 this misses the point. (As Ciaran pointed out.) Since I was not
23 specifically talking about the 'static' useflag.
24 For case 2 I'm very interested in the reason.