From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Nominations for council
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 21:23:13
1 On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 18:17 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:11:44 +0200
3 > Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Also, I would have thought there was a requirement to have been a
5 > > developer for at least a year, just like we require mentors to have
6 > > been a developer for six months. Thoughts?
7 >
8 > You're confusing Foundation and Council rules. For the Council, there
9 > aren't any restrictions on who can nominate or who can run -- GLEP 39
10 > doesn't even include the restriction on only nominating developers.
11
12 IMHO the Council should be written into the Foundation Bylaws. Replacing
13 and deprecating GLEP 39.
14
15 Which one of the first things wrt to the Council that would be mentioned
16 in the Bylaws is the Council has full authority and veto power over the
17 project. That means the board nor officers can dictate to the Council.
18 Council remains on top of it all. Just legally declared, and with other
19 rules, regulations, etc, stipulated in detail.
20
21 Unlike GLEP 39 Put in a legal document, giving the Council legal power.
22 Not just power per some GLEP or other unofficial doc, being used for a
23 purpose other than it's intention. Much less make it easier to see and
24 understand the structure of Gentoo to an outsider.
27 William L. Thomson Jr.
28 amd64/Java/Trustees
29 Gentoo Foundation