From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] version/slot locked dependencies in eclasses like autotools.eclass and vala.eclass
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 17:17:47
1 On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 11:57 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > W dniu nie, 21.01.2018 o godzinie 20∶24 -0800, użytkownik Zac Medico
3 >
4 >> Should we tell users to use the emerge --changed-deps=y option? Maybe
5 >> make --changed-deps=y a default setting?
6 >
7 > No. The idea is that not all dependency changes need to be explicitly
8 > propagated. The developer needs to weigh the pros and cons
9 > of propagating the change, and choose wisely. There is really no need to
10 > enforce a lot of unnecessarily frequent rebuilds because of minor
11 > dependency correction that doesn't really apply to the user.
14 I tend to agree, but one of the complications here is the break in
15 time between the error and the consequences.
16
17 If a dev commits a change and in six hours users start reporting
18 breakage, then the error is easily identified and fixed, and the dev
19 tends to learn not to do that again.
20
21 If a dev commits a change, and in 12 months users get weird breakage
22 when building or using other packages, then everybody runs around in
23 circles, the error is at least somewhat painful to identify, and the
24 dev has probably made the same error 5 other times since, if they're
25 even still maintaining that package.
26
27 A repoman warning would definitely help here.
28
29 Forcing unnecessary rebuilds isn't really the ideal solution, though
30 I'll admit I've been doing this for a while now since things were
31 getting painful a while back.
34 Rich