From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: antarus@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Making backwards-incompatible tree changes | a solution for GLEP 55's problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 20:02:10
1 On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:48:37 -0700
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Sep 20, 2011 1:05 PM, "Patrick Lauer" <patrick@g.o> wrote:
7 > >> Good idea, but won't work retroactively out of the box. So you'd
8 > >> need a helper script to figure out your current state (using
9 > >> portage version and tree snapshot maybe), then prepare the
10 > >> environment to upgrade (and how do you handle the "common" case of
11 > >> python 2.5 only which doesn't allow newest portage anyway?)
12 > >>
13 > >
14 > > Does it really need to be automated?  Why not just have a big howto
15 > > that we append to whenever we break @system upgrades?  The top
16 > > would have a table telling you where to start based on portage
17 > > version or whatever.
18 > >
19 > > The howto would contain links to portage and bindist snapshots
20 > > (just what you need to upgrade - maybe binary pkgs, maybe not).
21 > > Then it would have a list of steps to follow.
22 > >
23 > > If you are three years out of date it would be a long journey, but
24 > > it should work. I don't think we need to make it a trivial upgrade,
25 > > just a workable one.
26 >
27 > Why should we put effort into supporting people running a system based
28 > off of a three year old tree?
29
30 Probably because we don't want to get the 'immature, non-caring,
31 non-upgradeable' distro sticker.
34 Best regards,
35 Michał Górny