From: Martin Lesser <gentoo@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Assigning unique system uid/gid for new ebuild
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 08:53:58
1 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o> writes:
2 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> writes:
3 > > In principle packages should never depend on any fixed user id. They
4 > > should look at the passwd database for their uid. The only exception
5 > > is root which has a predefined userid.
6 > I believe that Mr. Lesser is asking how one decides on uid/gid's for
7 > new packages that should run as something other than root.
8
9 Exactly.
10
11 > Unfortunately, we don't have a good answer to that question just yet.
12 > The plan is to generate a table of already-taken uid/gid numbers
13 > ... My best suggestion at the moment is to see what numbers debian is
14 > using for your package, check to see if they conflict with anything we
15 > have (take a look at the above "database" as well as the passwd and
16 > group files at
17 > http://cvs.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/),
18 > and go from there.
19
20 And there are the problems:
21
22 1. Several uid's/gid's differ from other distris (debian i.e. assigns
23 31/32 for postgres, gentoo uses 70/70 for postgres but 31/31 for
24 squid, so having both distris on different hosts leads to really
25 'funny' results if you also use a central user repository or try to
26 merge both passwd-files, see 3.)
27
28 If you have a access to a running debian system look at
29 /usr/share/base-passwd/passwd.master
30
31 2. In /etc/passwd from baselayout there are several users predefined
32 which are really unnecessary on many systems. Why do I need a user
33 games? Or squid on a host which never runs a proxy or another proxy
34 like oops? Etc.
35
36 3. If one runs openldap for authentification and nss one don't want to
37 maintain two sources of uid/gid's which - if you run different
38 distris - may conflict in an odd way.
39
40 IMO a clearer approach could be:
41
42 1. The predefined entries in /etc/passwd should be reduced to exactly 1
43 entry for root, all other (system-)users could be created dynamicly
44 by the ebuilds without assigning a fixed uid/gid.
45
46 2. The current ebuilds which assign _fixed_ uids/gids could be fixed so
47 they don't use the appropriate useradd/groupadd options any longer.
48
49 I don't see any benefits of developing and/or maintaining a predefined
50 /etc/passwd with more than exactly one entry for root.
51
52 Just my 0.02$
53
54 Martin