From: Paul Smith <pausmith@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Unmerging dependent packages
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 06:14:34
1 Hi all;
2
3 I see in the emerge man page that "unmerge" doesn't remove packages that
4 depend on the package you're unmerging.
7 But, that's the behavior I want! In Debian, for example, if I remove a
8 package than anything that requires that package is also removed. I
9 need this behavior from Portage as well.
10
11 A read through the emerge man page didn't yield any help; is there any
12 way to ask for a package _AND_ all packages it depends on be removed?
15 A related question is this: suppose I upgrade a library. I have 5
16 packages installed that depend on that library. How can I get Portage
17 to re-emerge those 5 packages after I've installed the new version of my
18 library, so that the changes in the new library get picked up?
19
20 In other words, I want a command that says "emerge this, and everything
21 that depends on it".
24 Any help?
28 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××××××××××.com> HASMAT: HA Software Mthds & Tools
29 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
31 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list