From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55 updated
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 15:58:05
1 2009/5/18 Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>:
2 > David Leverton wrote:
3 >
4 >> 2009/5/17 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>:
5 >>> I think the way eapi-2 was introduced into the tree wasn't particularly
6 >>> problematic.
7 >>
8 >> I think there might be a misunderstanding here. Ciaran means functions
9 >> provided by the package manager that ebuilds can call during metadata
10 >> generation, for example built-in versionator-like functionality, not
11 >> new phase functions like src_prepare and src_configure.
12 >
13 > Ugh. Firstly versionator is a piece of bloated crap that should have died a
14 > long time ago; all it does is stop Gentoo newbs learning the basics[1] of
15 > their implementation language, which leaves them open to nonsensical
16 > arguments about printf -v (glad you finally learnt that one, btw.)
17
18 Yes, it should have died a long time ago, that's why we're talking
19 about adding equivalent built-in functionality. Please try to keep
20 up. (And it's always amusing to see your bizarre delusions about what
21 I do and don't know.)
22
23 > Secondly, please explain fully and clearly, but concisely, why we can't
24 > simply state that EAPI=NN allows the ebuild to use the EAPI functions in
25 > global scope.
26
27 Because by the time the package manager knows the EAPI and is in a
28 position to provide the appropriate functions, the ebuild will have
29 already tried to use them.
30
31 > Bear in mind that you have to deal with the case of the mangler which can
32 > get EAPI from an ebuild without sourcing, as portage currently can, I
33 > believe.
34
35 Interesting....
36
37 > Relaxing that restriction strikes me as much saner than relaxing all the
38 > other restrictions which make interoperability easier.
39 >
40 > (Frankly, I'm amazed at having to state that to people trusted to write a
41 > specification. Follow up to -project on this point please, as it's about
42 > process, not technique.)
43
44 You're amazed that people trusted to write a specification don't
45 already know what "strikes you as much saner"? Believe it or not, the
46 world does not revolve around you and your opinions.