From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] How does ebuild move files to the final destination
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:41:00
1 I'm working on an ebuild for getting a program for cvs and have some
2 questions. The ebuild succesfully fetchs, unpacks, and compiles the cvs
3 source but I'm puzzled on some aspects of src_install.
4
5 I notice that the make install command references ${D} as in
6 prefix=${D}/somedir or mandir=${D}/usr/share/man. However ${D} is
7 essentially a temporary directory (${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}/PORTAGE/${PF}/image)
8 which is used to construct the directory structure of the program as it will
9 be after it's installed to /usr or wherever. In short, the entire program
10 install with all it's directory is built under ${D}.
11
12 After looking at the emake and other eclass functions I can not see where the
13 tree in ${D} is moved to the final location (say /usr/someprog from
14 ${D}/usr/someprog) but it obviously happens <G>! Is there some portage code
15 somewhere that does the move? How does the move happen and when?
16
17 The reason for this is that the program I have doesn't have a make install -
18 I tried using egamesinstall and all that got created were some executables in
19 /usr/games/bin - nothing got moved to /usr/games/programname. This makes
20 sense because if I download cvs by hand and follow the ./autogen.sh,
21 ./configure, make process in the program install docs then the entire program
22 is built under what ever directory I put the two cvs modules in.
23
24 Thank you.
28 Brett I. Holcomb
29 AKA Grunt <><