From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: mgorny@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] markdown docs like README.md
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:35:47
1 On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 00:07:15 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Dnia 2013-09-24, o godz. 23:50:20
5 > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >
7 > > Principle or not, we shouldn't force our users down a particular
8 > > way to reading them; as that's not what our meta-distribution
9 > > stands for.
10 >
11 > We shouldn't either work on working for every fancy a single user may
12 > have. If there's a real benefit from converting markdown to HTML,
13 > please show me one.
14
15 It brings them to the same structure as any other HTML documentation;
16 if I'm going to take a complete opposite idea, we could also consider
17 converting PDFs to HTML for people whom don't want a PDF reader or
18 want to read the documentation on another device that doesn't even
19 support PDF. Furthermore, HTML and CSS gives them control on how the
20 text should be formatting; something both PDF and Markdown does not.
21
22 PDF is of course not the best example, because the binary of a PDF isn't
23 really readable to a human whereas Markdown was meant to stay readable;
24 but I'm just saying that whereas you might not see a benefit, that
25 doesn't mean that nobody else does.
26
27 If I want to browse all documentation with a browser, just going to
28 something like file:///usr/share/doc and read them all in the same
29 style (using an extension like Stylebot or so); then it would be neat
30 if Gentoo could bring them down to the same format to me, instead of
31 that I would need to do local conversion or use multiple viewers for
32 what could be in one canonical place.
33
34 Why do I need a browser, a PDF reader and a Markdown viewer and
35 possibly more clients to read my documentation in a formatted way?
36
37 > As far as I can see it, we're either talking about:
38 >
39 > 1) replacing semi-readable Markdown with unreadable HTML that will
40 > require special tools for proper display,
41
42 Just some basic CSS will do just fine.
43
44 > 2) installing duplicate files (the same data in markdown and in HTML),
45
46 This hasn't been discussed yet; but it doesn't need to, it's the usual
47 INSTALL_MASK story.
48
49 > 3) adding some more ugly awful magic that will make binary packages
50 > even less useful.
51
52 For binary packages a choice has to be made; trying to solve things for
53 binary packages is like discussing something to be implemented on a
54 binary distro, you simply can't bring the usefulness we are discussing
55 here to a binary package because of its nature.
56
57 > That said, I'd rather see people using *tools* to display Markdown
58 > rather than converting everything 90s-style.
59
60 I'd rather have a single tool that displays documentation and display
61 it really well; people are still converting things these days, they
62 will continue to do so in the future. Some things aren't compatible.
65 With kind regards,
66
67 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
68 Gentoo Developer
69
70 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
71 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
72 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D