From: Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (FS) Attributes for Ebuilds?
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 10:20:05
1 On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 00:52:34 -0700
2 George Shapovalov <george@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > A nice idea it is, however this will basically make portage *require*
5 > to have the tree reside on a filesystem that supports ACL's
6
7 True, but IIRC gentoo-sources use the patches for ext2/3, right? That's
8 what I meant by making this whole thing optional via a local useflag, so
9 just people who use a capable filesystem have to use it.
10
11 > however I am not so sure. ACL's provide one with the means to store
12 > this "meta" information, however we also need a processing capability.
13 > Thus I am not sure that the requirement for db dependency is really
14 > eliminated - either portage will depend on db processing engine or it
15 > will reimplement the wheel once again :).
16
17 Ok, this one was just a guess ;-) I assumed that filesystems which
18 support ACL's/extended attributes/whatever have the tools to deal with
19 them included...
20
21 > Yup, its a nice try nontheless, and might be worth it further down the
22 > timeline, when say ACL's get universally accepted. However right now I
23 > am afraid this might be a showstopper :(
24
25 Thanks, that was actually the kind of answer I expected. As I already
26 said, I just wanted to bring up this idea and see how people like it.
27
28 Michael
31 www.cargal.org
32 GnuPG-key-ID: 0x90CA09E3
33 Jabber-ID: citizen428 [at] cargal [dot] org
34 Registered Linux User #278726