From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-libs/freetype: freetype-2.4.11-r1.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:14:47
1 On 02/27/2013 06:58 PM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 >
3 >> The other thing is:
4 >> We still have the conflict with eclass-solution vs PM-solution
5 >> (multilib-portage) and I propose not to convert ANYTHING else until
6 >> that conflict is solved, even if it means a council vote (that's what
7 >> I actually think makes sense here).
8 >> I understand both sides and somehow find it appealing to have a
9 >> quicker solution, but since this could damage years of work on a
10 >> portage fork I think we should slow down here.
11 >
12 > except there _has_ been a discussion:
13 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/80330
14 >
15 > where, at least for me, it appeared that the eclass solution was the
16 > right way and portage-multilib had its defects that could not be solved
17 > without such an eclass solution.
18
19 I don't even know multilib-portage (think is this way around) that
20 detailed myself, but Tommy[D] claims that some of those problems will be
21 solved in EAPI=6 and that he is willing to work on the spec.
22
23 The reason I bring this up again is that there was a strong argument
24 yesterday in #gentoo-dev, so it seems the situation is NOT clear.
27 > Long story short: portage-multilib does not handle deps needing
28 > multilib and deps not needing them. Only packages maintainers know
29 > that, you cannot guess it at the PM level. Doing unpack twice, while
30 > bearable, is also suboptimal. portage-multilib already disables its
31 > multilib support for multilib-enabled packages, thus there is not even
32 > a conflict there.
35 It still does not make sense to work in two different directions, imo. I
36 was supporting the eclass idea myself by proposing
37 autotools-multilib-minimal.eclass, but I think this should be voted on,
38 so we don't duplicate work.