From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stupid USE defaults that need cleaning
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:04:53
1 >>OK, so because every 3rd gnome user is not able to add the proper use flag
2 >>to make.conf, every non-gnome user is stuck with investigating and putting
3 >>-eds into make.conf to avoid pulling in gnome crap. Wonderful.
4 >>
5 >>Yes, I am ranting, because this kind of use flags basically pulls in huge
6 >>number or unwanted dependencies; exactly the same thing with motif - would
7 >>someone explain why the heck do do we need this thing in make.defaults?
11 > I can say the same thing for people who are to lazy to add the proper
12 > -use flag(when it is much more obvious that deps you don't want are
13 > being pulled in compared to support you do want not being compiled in).
14 > Unless this is going to go beyond ranting, there isn't much point from
15 > either side.
16
17 In this case, you are wrong. These USE flags are not doing what they
18 are intended to do because of eds. If a user explicitly sets -gtk
19 -gnome, and gnome *still* is pulled in because of eds in the default
20 profile, this is broken behavior. I also suspect that "every 3rd gnome
21 user" is a minority compared to the number of folks who are affected by
22 forcing eds.
23
24 -Steve
25 --