From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: UPower upstream (git master) and 0.99 release -> No sys-power/pm-utils support anymore
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 00:44:38
1 On 06/04/2014 08:24 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:55:50 +0800
3 > Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 06/03/2014 07:25 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> On 03/06/14 14:40, J. Roeleveld wrote:
8 >>>> Would have been nice to fix all the dependencies BEFORE marking the
9 >>>> systemd- depending "sys-power/upower-pm-utils" stable. -- Joost
10 >>>
11 >>> No clue what you mean, sys-power/upower-pm-utils doesn't depend on
12 >>> sys-apps/systemd,
13 >>> and whole Portage tree is converted to proper dependencies and the
14 >>> conversion went in
15 >>> the correct steps.
16 >>
17 >> The only step missing is:
18 >>
19 >> Mask the new version on all non-systemd profiles so that portage
20 >> doesn't try to install it
21 >>
22 >> (I wonder why systemd and the related stuff isn't masked on
23 >> non-systemd profiles anyway ...)
24 >
25 > There is no such thing as a non-systemd profile; a sub directory is a
26 > specialization, that doesn't mean that it parents suddenly become the
27 > opposite of that. No, the parents are just generalizations that aren't
28 > as specific as the sub directory.
29
30 Since systemd needs special profiles to be easy to use ...
31
32 ... it'd be the boring and easy way to restrict it to those profiles so
33 that dependency changes don't cause this needless amount of work for
34 users, and this indecent amount of mail on this mailinglist
35 >
36 > Doing what you've suggested everywhere but in gnome/systemd and
37 > kde/systemd is a recipe to upset everyone whom runs systemd on another
38 > desktop environment than GNOME or KDE; so, that's not a way forward.
39
40 I have no idea what you are trying to say, but there's a desktop profile
41
42 > Another option is to create no-systemd sub directories; but such
43 > profiles will be highly controversial, besides helping the exponential
44 > grow of the profiles directories as well as be a non-default profile.
45
46 The "default" is already that, all I'm suggesting is masking systemd
47 there so that portage doesn't needlessly antagonize users
48
49 > Mix-ins from Funtoo, anyone?
50 No thanks