From: Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] virtual/gzip madness
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:47:28
1 I was discussing this with kloeri and a few other devs in #gentoo-bugs
2 this morning and they suggested I post this list here to get everyone's
3 opinion.
4
5 It looks like seemant added virtual/gzip back in Nov 2003. Suprisingly,
6 grepping the tree reveals 1 (as in ONE) ebuild that actually uses
7 virtual/gzip.
8
9 Following is a list of packages that either 1) need to have their
10 apps-arch/gzip DEPEND changed to virtual/gzip, or 2) depend on gzip but
11 do not have it all in any form in DEPEND.
12
13 #2 brings up a question that has confused me for a while; if an ebuild
14 depends on a package (in this case gzip), which is included as part of
15 the base system, is it assumed to exist or should it be added to DEPEND?
16
17 I'd be willing to fix most of these myself (provided everyone agrees, of
18 course), but I'm still going through my probabtionary period. If
19 everyone agrees, and if I do end up becoming a developer, then I'd be
20 more than willing to fix whatever packages haven't been fixed by that time.
21
22 So, enough hoopla...
23
24 ebuilds that currently DEPEND on app-arch/gzip but should be changed to
25 virtual/gzip:
26
27 app-admin/aide
28 app-admin/newsyslog
29 app-admin/rkhunter
30 app-arch/guitar
31 app-arch/hdup
32 app-arch/ppmd
33 app-arch/tar
34 app-cdr/cdlabelgen
35 app-doc/daemontools-man
36 app-doc/djbdns-man
37 app-doc/gimp-user-manual
38 app-emacs/tamago
39 app-i18n/manpages-fr
40 app-i18n/manpages-it
41 app-i18n/skk-jisyo
42 app-i18n/skk-jisyo-cdb
43 dev-db/cdb
44 dev-util/quilt
45 mail-filter/amavisd-new
46 media-sound/soundtracker
47 net-analyzer/oinkmaster
48 net-firewall/fwanalog
49 sys-apps/miscfiles
50 sys-libs/cracklib
51 x11-themes/iceicons
52
53 ebuilds that currently use gzip explicitly but do not have any kind of
54 gzip in DEPEND:
55
56 app-arch/unlzx
57 app-benchmarks/siege
58 app-doc/howto-text
59 app-doc/phrack
60 app-editors/ted
61 app-emulation/uade
62 app-i18n/ami
63 app-misc/emelfm
64 app-sci/modelsim
65 app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets
66 <=dev-lang/ccc-6.5.9.001-r2
67 dev-lang/cfal
68 dev-lang/cxx
69 dev-lang/gpc
70 dev-lang/squeak-basicimage
71 dev-lang/squeak-fullimage
72 dev-libs/ace
73 dev-libs/libcxml
74 dev-lisp/cmucl-source
75 dev-util/examiner
76 dev-util/ladebug
77 dev-util/xmingw-gcc
78 games-fps/lsdldoom
79 games-mud/tf
80 games-strategy/liquidwar
81 mail-client/mutt
82 media-fonts/artwiz-fonts
83 media-fonts/baekmuk-fonts
84 media-fonts/efont-unicode
85 media-fonts/intlfonts
86 media-fonts/jisx0213-fonts
87 media-gfx/feh
88 media-gfx/xzgv
89 media-libs/nas
90 media-tv/xawdecode
91 net-analyzer/arpwatch
92 net-irc/ctrlproxy
93 net-mail/getmail
94 net-news/slrn
95 sys-apps/kbd
96 sys-apps/lkcdutils
97 sys-apps/powerpc-utils
98 sys-fs/mac-fdisk
99 x11-base/xfree
100 x11-base/xorg-x11
101 x11-libs/qwt
102
103 Cheers
104 --
105 They call them "squares" because it's the most complicated shape they
106 can deal with.
107
108 /* Aaron Walker
109 * http://butsugenjitemple.org/~ka0ttic/