From: Anders Eriksson <aeriksson2@g.o>
To: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
Cc: Zack Gilburd <klasikahl@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New feature proposition (make.conf)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:14:12
1 Zack Gilburd wrote:
2
3 > One of the problems that plagues Gentoo is that the distro's growth is leading
4 > to an insane amount of distfiles downloads (and even excessive downloads)
5 > along with excessive rsync'ing. Automatic removal of distfiles would
6 > substancially increase the amount of distfiles downloads due to the fact that
7 > packages often have revisions made to them and revisions mean that the
8 > software has to be recompiled -- thus the distfile would have to be
9 > redownloaded of already removed.
10 >
11 > Until the general downloading (and rsyncing) etiqutte improves, I don't see
12 > how this could be The Right Thing(TM) to do.
15 I for one have the distfiles in /var/cache/ which is the Right Place,
16 imho
17 (and I believe the FHS thinks so too). Along with apache cache files,
18 ccache cache files and cached man pages, it amounts to quite some
19 data which can be removed when the space is needed. As a matted of
20 fact, I have a script which does just that.
21
22 How about adopting that poicy in gentoo? The cleaning side of it
23 (script, whatever) can be dressed to accept whatever policy the user
24 sees fit.
25
26 Just my 2c.
27 /Anders