From: Zach Welch <zwelch@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] PATCH: apcupsd 3.9.9+ for Gentoo Linux
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:10:35
1 Hello fellow Gentoo users,
2
3 I have created some initial patches (made against 3.9.9 and 3.10.0) to
4 support Gentoo Linux. These ebuilds adds the following features:
5
6 - enables all stable configure options
7 - pthread support for better resource usage and performance
8 - multimon.cgi scripts for remote monitoring.
9 - USB UPS support
10 - includes {pre|post}{inst|rm} functions to
11 - install/remove runlevel init script links
12 - stop/restart daemon before/after merge
13 - configuration file cleanup after all versions are removed
14 - patches autoconf/configure.in and adds platforms/gentoo directory
15 - adds $DESTDIR prefix to all make install targets to allow 'sandbox'
16 building. Other distros may eventually use this feature to simplify
17 their package rolling process.
18 - patches platforms/etc/Makefile.in to install the various
19 mail scripts into sysconfdir
20 - uses of ssmtp for mail transport, which is bad but...
21 - separately applied during install, easily removed from ebuild
22 - it works, but someone else can submit a patch to use virtual/mta
23
24 For the history logs, I developed these patches after local power failed
25 (repeatedly) on Tuesday - crashing my new Gentoo box. The only
26 reasonably priced UPSs around town were USB based and, while at the
27 store, the store tech found the apcupsd homepage, confirming that such
28 beasts are now supported. Getting home with my new toy, I discovered
29 Gentoo only provided apcupsd 3.8.5, which lacks USB support.
30
31 These patches could have been much simpler for my situation; however, I
32 took the time to improve things a bit, thus the DESTDIR patches. These
33 have been tested fairly extensively (the patches were ready before the
34 power company had their issues resolved), and things seems to work very
35 well. The multimon.cgi support works great, though I can tell my puny
36 UPS doesn't do it justice.
37
38 The following link points to an archive that contains all files used by
39 Gentoo to patch and manage apcupsd 3.9.9 and 3.10.0:
40
41 http://mirrors.superlucidity.net/gentoo/patches/apcupsd-gentoo.tar.gz
42
43 or you can access the files individually at:
44
45 http://mirrors.superlucidity.net/gentoo/local-portage/sys-apps/apcupsd/
46
47 Patches for both versions are being supplied because 3.10.0 has
48 reporting issues with my USB Back UPS 500 CS (as discussed previously on
49 this list), so I am instead currently using 3.9.9 without any problems.
50 I have taken the liberty of pushing these patches on to the apcupsd
51 developers for their review and possible inclusion in future releases.
52
53 These files have also been attached to bug 7778 on bugs.gentoo.org, for
54 anyone that might be interested now or in the future. Please
55 communication through that medium for bug reports, etc.
56
57 Finally, thanks to everyone that has made Gentoo a great distribution!
58
59 Cheers,
60
61 Zach Welch