From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New copyright policy approved, please weigh your Signed-off-bys
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 13:41:05
1 Dnia September 16, 2018 8:59:50 AM UTC, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 >> Just FYI: the Trustees have approved GLEP 76 aka our new copyright
5 >> policy [1]. While the exact implementation details are to be
6 >determined
7 >> yet, please note that *Signed-off-by* line will mean you are
8 >certifying
9 >> our GCO [2].
10 >
11 >> Since some developers were giving the sign-off 'in blanco' so far,
12 >> I would like to emphasize that now it will actually mean agreeing to
13 >> the document. Unless you have read the new policy and agreed with
14 >it,
15 >> please don't do that.
16 >
17 >I wonder how we should treat those existing Signed-off-by lines in the
18 >tree.
19 >
20 >We could either say that we ignore any such lines on commits before
21 >2018-09-16 00:00:00 UTC, because there was no policy in place.
22 >
23 >Or we could say that they certify the commit under the Linux DCO 1.1
24 >(https://developercertificate.org/), because in absence of an explicit
25 >policy that's the only meaningful interpretation of a Signed-off-by
26 >line.
27 >
28 >Presumably, the first alternative is cleaner. Especially, since there
29 >are commits with a Signed-off-by line that don't comply with the
30 >conditions of the Linux DCO.
31
32 I don't think we really need to be concerned about them right now.
33
34 AFAIU the whole signoff business boils down to two things: verifying that contributors understand the terms of contributing, and protecting Gentoo from liability for commits violating those terms.
35
36 I think that in this context only the latter point really matters, and I don't think making statement either way right now would change anything if we ever had to exercise it.
39 >Ulrich
40 >
41 >> [1]:https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0076.html
42 >> [2]:https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0076.html#certificate-of-origin