From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libressl status
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 11:33:57
1 On 04/05/2015 01:17 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > If you're going to fork a library, and don't intend to keep the
4 > packages API-compatible, then change the filenames. What is so hard
5 > about this? LIbressl was even an outside fork, so it didn't come with
6 > any of the baggage of "we're the real libssl team" or whatever.
7
8 Libressl is (widely) API compatible with openssl. As said numerous times
9 before: they broke the API when they thought it is security relevant.
10
11 This is about the fact that they _added_ features which are not present
12 in openssl. However, openntpd still compiles with openssl.
15 > Sure, we can do the USE=libressl route like we did with libav, but
16 > since this is still new would it make more sense to just rename the
17 > libressl files so that they can still go in /usr/lib but without being
18 > called libssl? Then any package that wants to use them will need to
19 > have their build logic changed accordingly. They aren't drop-in
20 > replacements for each other anyway, as much as people would wish they
21 > were, so we should resist the urge to pretend that they are.
24 By that you are effectively forking libressl and causing a huge mess
25 downstream for both developers and users. It may even cause cross-distro
26 breakage. I can name several examples of this happening due to debian
27 going it's own way. Last of which affected openclonk (upstream merged a
28 patch from a debian dev who expected any distro does the same hacks they
29 do).
30
31 So please, have a little sense for QA. Those ideas are just making it
32 worse. This is something that has to be resolved upstream. If they don't
33 cooperate long-term, then their fork will just die out for sure (and for
34 good). However, I currently don't see strong signs for that.