From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Andrew Ross <aross@×××××××××××.au>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xchat's use of local USE flag xchatnogtk
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:47:09
1 On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 05:09, Andrew Ross wrote:
2 > Does anyone know why net-irc/xchat uses the local USE flag xchatnogtk
3 > instead of looking at the global flag gtk?
4 >
5 > >From use.local.desc:
6 > net-irc/xchat:xchatnogtk - Disables building the GTK front end to XChat
7 >
8 > >From use.desc:
9 > gtk - Adds support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit)
10 >
11 > Seems like xchatnogtk is simply duplicating the intended effect of -gtk
12
13 I agree. It seems redundant.
14
15 > By the way, I checked Bugzilla in case this had already be raised and
16 > addressed.
17 >
18 > Also, a small etiquette question resulting from this email:
19 >
20 > In future, should queries like this be sent:
21 >
22 > 1. directly to the maintainer of the package (using the herd email alias
23 > when no specific maintainer is listed in metadata.xml)?
24 >
25 > 2. to gentoo-dev (since it's ebuild-related)?
26 >
27 > 3. to gentoo-user (so the devs can continue important discussions on
28 > gentoo-dev)?
29 >
30 > 4. bugzilla (although who am I to second-guess devs, esp if there turns
31 > out to be a perfectly good reason for it)?
32
33 They should be sent to bugzilla, I would think. Gentoo-dev is for
34 discussion about Gentoo development, so I would see it fitting there,
35 also.
36
37 > 5. some mysterious place as-yet-unknown-to-me place? :-)
38 >
39 > Thanks in advance
40 >
41 > Andrew