From: Rolf Eike Beer <eike@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes made by acct-* ebuilds
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 19:49:44
1 > There's a significant difference between changing group membership for
2 > a system user versus a user account that is used interactively.
3 >
4 > I don't think the handbook advises people to mess with system accounts.
5
6 From my experience this is quite common for web-stuff and similar things,
7 where you suddenly want to be daemon1 in the group of daemon2 so it can read
8 it's files.
9
10 How about something like an EXTRA_GROUPS env var that one can set via profile?
11 That could be set per package, acct-user templates could change that at merge
12 time, or if USE=exact-groups is set even complain if the new and old group
13 setting does not match. Or the other way round: always fail if the group
14 membership of the given user is not exactly what the ebuild states +
15 EXTRA_GROUPS, and let the user pass in USE=force-group for that ebuild to fix
16 things up.
17
18 Eike