From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: titanofold@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add "test" to IUSE_IMPLICIT
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 23:50:14
1 On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 23:33:26 +0000
2 "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > After years of "if use test ; then ..." just working when
5 > FEATURES="test" is declared, it isn't working with EAPI5.
6
7 You shouldn't admit that for years you didn't knew that this was
8 incorrect and you should have been using IUSE=test.
9
10 > I think we could save some bytes and headaches if we just add "test"
11 > to IUSE_IMPLICIT.
12
13 First of all, you should note that you will still need to add IUSE=test
14 to pre-EAPI 5 ebuilds.
15
16 Secondly, what about all the ebuilds which declare IUSE=test in EAPI 5?
17 Shall we remove that value from IUSE? Keep it?
18
19 What will be the impact on metadata? It seems that the PMS allows
20 dependencies on IUSE_EFFECTIVE, so we can basically have dependencies
21 with flags which are valid only on some of the profiles...
22
23 > Portage's emerge's "--newuse" option won't be affected by this. From
24 > `man emerge`:
25 > > NOTE: This option ignores the state of the "test" USE flag, since
26 > > that flag has a special binding to FEATURES="test" (see make.conf(5)
27 > > for more information about FEATURES settings).
28 >
29 > What say you?
30
31 I say that putting semi-automatic, dynamically changing flag
32 into IUSE_IMPLICIT is a bad idea. Right now, we just keep the things
33 that are really not supposed to change there.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny