From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidance on distributed patented software
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 19:21:02
1 On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 1:09 PM Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 > There's not neccessarily a conflict between a patented idea and a
4 > public domain implementation of that idea.
5
6 It kind of depends on what you mean by "conflict."
9 > Take a fictional example:
10 >
11 > You and I independently invent the same thing. You patent it, then
12 > write and publish an LGPL implementation. I, ignorant of your
13 > accomplishment, later write and publish a different implementation,
14 > placing it in the public domain.
15 >
16 > You having a patent doesn't neccessarily matter to me publishing my
17 > implementation.
18
19 Sure it does. Depending on the claims of the patent, your publication
20 of the completely independent implementation is basically a public
21 confession that you violated the original patent. Now, if you didn't
22 obtain any commercial value from it and were ignorant it is pretty
23 unlikely that somebody would actually go after you for it or get
24 damages, but you can infringe on a patent while being completely
25 ignorant of it and doing all your own independent work. The patent
26 covers the idea, no matter how many times it is independently
27 invented.
28
29 > What users have to do is determined by the terms set forth in the
30 > patent. E.g.: the QR-code patent has (I believe) not expired yet but
31 > has always permitted using the idea without any explicit license under
32 > the condition that all use is actually spec conformant.
33
34 Generally patents, like copyright registrations, do not have "terms"
35 for how you are allowed to use the patented technology. The patent
36 just makes claims as to what is covered. For something completely new
37 those claims often are pretty broad covering anything somebody could
38 imagine the technology being used for. For something repurposed the
39 claims tend to be narrow, as the inventor didn't actually come up with
40 the original idea but claims the new application of it is novel in
41 some way, and if you use it for anything else you're more likely to be
42 free and clear.
43
44 What you are talking about is a patent license, which is similar to a
45 software license. You don't "copyright software under the GPL" - you
46 just copyright the software full stop. Then, as a separate act, you
47 issue however many licenses you wish to anybody you wish allowing them
48 to do things that would otherwise infringe on the copyright. In the
49 same way all a patent does is stake a claim on an idea, and then any
50 licenses are a completely separate matter. If a patent holder wants
51 to sue somebody they would point to what they're doing and then to the
52 patent, and the court would determine if the action infringed, but the
53 defense would be free to provide any license they believe they
54 legitimately have from the patent holder that makes the action legal.
55
56 > You seem to expect some due diligence from libtomcrypt authors before
57 > having decided to publish their work and I don't find that reasonable.
58 > I hope I've managed to explain why?
59
60 So, I can't speak for libcrypt at all specifically, but I wouldn't
61 assume that somebody has actually done due diligence before publishing
62 anything. For all you know the authors of some random piece of
63 software live someplace the patent is unenforceable and don't even
64 care if it infringes, or they're protected by anonymity online. Back
65 in the PGP ITAR days I believe somebody went through some loopholes to
66 publish the software outside the US, and it is probably debatable
67 whether that was legal under US law, but presumably the people who did
68 it didn't care, and enforcement was unlikely at all, and especially
69 unlikely if you didn't have plans to visit the US after bragging about
70 distributing it.
71
72 Really the same is true of software patents in general. For random
73 individuals other than your own conscience it is pretty unlikely for
74 there to be any kind of enforcement. For a business or concern of any
75 size though it obviously is a risk that is probably not worth taking.
76 This is arguably one of the value-adds a commercial distro could add:
77 providing an assurance that anything in the distro is systematically
78 and competently screened. Whether commercial distros actually due
79 this in practice is something I don't know, though if they make
80 promises and have the appearance of a decent program it might
81 accomplish the CYA needs of due diligence for most companies...
84 Rich