From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Support for Python 3
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 01:26:20
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 29-10-2010 23:24, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
5 > 2010-10-26 02:45:10 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto napisaƂ(a):
6 >> On 25-10-2010 13:37, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
7 >>> I would like to suggest that setting Python 3.1 as main active version of Python be officially
8 >>> supported and recommended for Gentoo developers since 2010-12-01. Majority of packages supporting
9 >>> only Python 2.* have been prepared to work correctly in situation when Python 3.* is set as main
10 >>> active version of Python. I would like to encourage other developers to work on fixing remaining
11 >>> packages.
12 >>
13 >> Until we're certain that will not cause automatic weekly stages and cds
14 >> to fail to build again, please don't.
15 >
16 > I suggest some changes for Gentoo developers (so that they can find, report and potentially
17 > fix bugs before other users would reproduce these bugs), not weekly stages or cds.
18
19 If your proposal is only about telling people, starting by developers,
20 to use Python-3.1 as their default python version so they can test it
21 and help iron out any bugs and no change is going to be committed to the
22 tree any time soon to make python-3.1 as default, then the proposal is
23 of no consequence and I dare to say no interest to the Release
24 Engineering team.
25 However, if you're trying to force the use of python-3.1 in the tree and
26 plan to commit changes that will do so, then yours is not an acceptable
27 answer, in particular given recent history. Consumers of the stable tree
28 are not and should not be treated as "guinea pigs".
29 Given the previous effects on the automated builds, in this case, I'll
30 request for the Release Engineering team a moratorium on making
31 Python-3.1 the default python version on a system until the releng team
32 can test and ensure that won't break the automated builds.
33
34 Gentoo developers need to take into consideration users of the stable
35 tree and should remember that the automated weekly cds and stages are
36 built from stable ebuilds. Thus any breakage on a stable ebuild can kill
37 the automated builds or lead to unusable cds and or stages.
38
39 - --
40 Regards,
41
42 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
43 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng