From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cmake-utils.eclass: set default of CMAKE_VERBOSE=1
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 18:54:48
Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2012, 18:30:10 schrieb hasufell:
> # @ECLASS-VARIABLE: CMAKE_VERBOSE > # @DESCRIPTION: > # Set to enable verbose messages during compilation. > > By default this is deactivated which is inconvenient imo and results in > pastes having minimum information. > I have to tell users every time to recompile with CMAKE_VERBOSE=1 so > that I have proper information on what is going on. > > Are there any arguments against this being default?
I think the resistance against this more has to do with the output being more esthetically pleasing (yes I know this is not really a good point for us, but in general the cmake output is quite nice) than with "writing to stdout is expensive" (which was a joke in the previous thread). That being said, it probably makes sense to change the default to =1, as it definitely helps debugging to see the build commands. @infra: However, please raise the file size limit for bugzilla then, and if possible, please fix the use of compressed build logs. Right now, I would not recommend uploading a compressed log to bugzilla, because: * I have not found a way to have firefox uncompress and display it correctly with one click (always have to download, save, ...) * and often files end up double-compressed, i.e. save log.gz, gunzip, rename log to log.gz, gunzip :( Cheers, Andreas -- Andreas K. Huettel Gentoo Linux developer kde (team lead), sci, tex, arm, printing dilfridge@g.o

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] cmake-utils.eclass: set default of CMAKE_VERBOSE=1 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>