From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>, gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:52:10
1 On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 03:36:26PM -0500, John David Robinson wrote:
2 > > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:44:57 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Have we picked up any prudes, or are they still all using debian? See,
4 > > I'm about to add app-vim/brainfuck-syntax to the tree, and I want to be
5 > > sure that I'm not going to make any Ashcroft-worshipping right wing
6 > > christian rednecks come after me in their SUVs, toting shotguns, waving
7 > > their rebel flags and proclaiming that the Earth is flat.
10 > I feel I should point out that people who aren't Gentoo developers
11 > regularly read this list (not to mention its availability in the
12 > archives). Some of them (maybe even devs themselves, though I can't
13 > speak for them) have well-formed, educated opinions that you don't
14 > share, and which you have insulted.
15 >
16 > Some people, for reasons you would probably actually respect if you met
17 > them in person and asked them why, object to "strong language". I'm not
18 > one of those people, but I respect them, and I'm kind of surprised to
19 > see a Gentoo developer bash and stereotype them. Whether or not you
20 > agree with them, you're marginalizing them (not to mention pretty much
21 > all Republicans and Christians who don't take your message with a hefty
22 > grain of salt) when you draw them the way you did in your email.
25 Or perhaps you just take things way too seriously.
26
27 Calm down.
30 Jon Portnoy
31 avenj/irc.freenode.net