From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 05:49:07
1 120614 Greg KH wrote:
2 > So, anyone been thinking about this? I have, and it's not pretty.
3 > Should I worry about this and how it affects Gentoo
4 > or not worry about Gentoo right now and just focus on the other issues?
5 > Minor details like, "do we have a 'company' that can pay Microsoft
6 > to sign our bootloader?" is one aspect from the non-technical side.
7 > I did a lot of UEFI secure boot work in the past at SUSE
8 > and should be soon a member of the UEFI "organization"
9 > through my work at the Linux Foundation, so I do have a basic grasp
10 > of the issues involved and have a chance to get changes made,
11 > if needed and possible, to the spec itself.
12
13 Does this affect those of us who build our own machines ?
14 Is there likely to be any Gentoo user
15 who is reluctant to change the default BIOS setting ?
16 How can UEFI be required for Arm without running into anti-trust ?
17 How far is this basically a problem for those in the USA,
18 the rest of us having a different attitude to security issues ?
22 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
23 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
24 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca