From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: vapier@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please don't use IUSE=static-libs unless really necessary
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:09:31
1 On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 18:39:32 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday, September 18, 2011 18:16:30 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
5 > > On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
6 > > > '$(use_enable static-libs static)' themselves. While at it, it
7 > > > may be better to just drop the flag if no other package relies on
8 > > > it and no user has ever requested the static build of that
9 > > > package.
10 > >
11 > > I don't see any harm with including IUSE="static-libs" for every
12 > > package that has working/usable static libraries[1]. Why wait for
13 > > users to request it on bugzilla when it's a near-zero-cost and
14 > > zero-maintenance to add it to ebuilds?
15 >
16 > i missed this sentence from Michał's e-mail. unconditionally not
17 > building static libraries is against policy. if you install shared
18 > libs that get linked against, then you must provide static libraries
19 > unconditionally as well or support IUSE=static-libs. maintainers do
20 > not get to choose "no one has asked for it and no one in the tree is
21 > using it thus my ebuild isnt going to". -mike
22
23 Where is that policy? AFAIK the policy was to 'follow upstream' which
24 usually means 'shared only'. I really don't see a reason to build
25 static libtorrent as upstream even doesn't support static linking.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny