From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for a new project: gentoo-libs
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2018 17:24:39
1 On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 1:01 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 > Part of my frustration is that seemingly "anything open source related
5 > can be held in Gentoo" and I'm somewhat against that as I feel it
6 > dilutes the Gentoo mission. We are here to make a distribution, not
7 > maintain random libraries. If you want to do that feel free; but I
8 > don't see a need for that work to be associated with Gentoo.
11 Honestly, other than maybe some prestige I don't really get the point
12 of hosting random software in Gentoo either. These days getting a
13 repo on github or any of its 47 competitors is a few clicks. You have
14 zero overhead from a governance standpoint, and a dev can of course
15 stick ebuilds in the main repository with zero interference. It seems
16 a lot cleaner from a copyright/etc standpoint as well.
17
18 Even openrc is hosted outside of Gentoo these days, which makes perfect sense.
19
20 With the distro as a whole it is a bit more complex, though honestly
21 I'd love to see us get to a point where the whole thing can be
22 SECURELY hosted entirely off-infra as well, even if we still chose to
23 run our own infra. I just see it as a way to both provide options to
24 our users and ourselves. For the latter, being able to host anything
25 on an outside service means that if some component of infra goes down
26 we could have mirrors already running and pulling from infra, or if
27 for some reason somebody sues us or roots us or whatever we can pick
28 up and move without much fuss.
29
30 Running your own wiki/bugzilla/lists/etc was about the only way to do
31 things in the 90s/etc, but these days there are other options...
34 Rich