From: Consus <consus@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 16:59:49
1 On 17:15 Sat 09 Apr, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 12:09:38 -0400
3 > waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
4 >
5 > > > I never really got the mentality that using an initramfs is a
6 > > > burden.
7 > >
8 > > One more piece of software that can go wrong. You have to
9 > > maintain+configure it; e.g. sync software and library versions with
10 > > what's on the rest of the system.
11 >
12 > Errm, have you ever actually used dracut?
13 >
14 > dracut --kver 4.5
15 >
16 > Wow, that was hard! It requires zero configuration and that's true even
17 > if you've got LVM on top of LUKS on top of RAID or something equally
18 > complex. If you're already running that kernel version, you don't even
19 > need to specify it.
20
21 In 2014 I switched from dracut to genkernel because after *every*
22 dracut's update I was writing to it's devs about a new shiny bug. Like
23 infinite loops in the pidof() implementation.