From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Hypothetical question
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 07:23:49
1 Something mentioned in the thread about installers inspired the
2 additional following conversation fodder. What would be the "best" way
3 to individually tailor Portage settings for specific packages? Somebody
4 mentioned something about enabling USE="ssl" only for php, but leaving
5 it disabled for everything else. Would it be better to do this all in
6 one file, or in one file for each package so modified?
7
8 In the former case, it could be done with optional dependency strings in
9 the make.conf variables. e.g. USE="-ssl >=dev-php/php-1.2.3:+ssl" This
10 seems fairly simple to use, but would be a pain to implement (I think).
11
12 In the latter case, package.conf files in the PORTAGE_OVERLAY
13 might be an option. e.g. USE="-ssl" in make.conf; USE="ssl" in
14 $PORTAGE_OVERLAY/dev-php/php/package.conf. Somehow, I think we do not
15 need another config file to remember. This also seems like a bug-farm.
16
17 Any creative ideas?
20 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
21 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
22 --Ghost in the Shell