From: "Chris L. Mason" <clmason@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-root emerges
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:40:00
1 On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:28:12 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:24:46 -0300 "Chris L. Mason" <clmason@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 > | I've been trying to figure out if it is possible to have all emerges
5 > | (especially the builds) to be done as a non-root user, and have the
6 > | process call sudo (or similar) only for the final merge. All
7 > | downloading, unpacking, compiling and installing to the fake target
8 > | should be doable without root permissions. So, you'd just need to be
9 > | in the portage group, and be configured in sudo.
10 >
11 > Well, there's FEATURES="userpriv"...
12
13 Okay, just checked the man page for make.conf:
14
15 userpriv
16 Allow portage to drop root privledges and compile pack-
17 ages as portage:portage without a sandbox (unless user-
18 sandbox is also used).
19
20 That looks useful, however, I think it would be more secure to always
21 run *without* root permissions, then acquire them when needed (i.e.
22 *just* for the merge to root.) Also, that allows people to call
23 emerge as a regular user, without having to su to root.
26 Chris
27 (reposting to list, I need to get used to responding to mailing lists in gmail)
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list