From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for August
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 08:18:45
1 Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > kashani wrote:
3 >> Chris Bainbridge wrote:
4 >>> I'm curious what the problem is with bugzilla and it's db
5 >>> interactions? You're suggesting a specific issue rather than general
6 >>> db performance issues like fs, io scheduling, raid1, hyperthreads,
7 >>> etc.?
8 >> It's most likely related to Bugzilla using MyISAM tables by default
9 >> which is fine in a small environment. However as concurrency grows along
10 >> with table size those full table locks begin to cause issues.
11 >> Additionally most www-apps are not known for their well thought out db
12 >> schema. Performance of the underlying hardware plays a part, but can be
13 >> overshadowed pretty quickly by query and table inefficiencies.
14 >>
15 >> The usual fix without touching the internals of the software is
16 >> doing master/slave replication and allowing the selects to happen on the
17 >> slave and writes on the master. However you would need to change most of
18 >> the queries to point to the slave server which is usually not trivial.
19 >> It sounds like this is the path the Infra team is pursuing.
20
21 Thanks a lot for this explanation.
22
23 > 1++
24 >
25 > You got it right :-)
26
27 I'm not out to blame anybody, but if infra had communicated what the problem
28 exactly is once they found it out, you wouldn't have ended up with all those
29 "I'm sick and tired of your "we're working on it"". Asking people for patience
30 is easy, but it's hard to swallow when you don't understand what the problem is
31 at all.
34 Kind Regards,
35
36 Simon Stelling